Rodents are some of the animals that can find their way into your house in search of food and shelter. These critters may cause damage to your property and also health issues for your family with fleas, mites, and other diseases from their droppings. It requires professional help to protect your property and family from these pests and keep them from breeding. If you see droppings or hear strange noises in your attic, contact Eastern Pine Pest & Wildlife for rodent control in North Reading MA. We'll get rid of all the rodents, including rats, mice, squirrels, among others to keep your house protected.
What are the Different Types of Rodents Found in Homes?
The types of rodents that can be found in homes include:
- House Mice – These are the most common rodents found in homes. They hide in dark, secluded places and usually come out at night. House mice feed on almost anything they can find.
- Brown Rats – Also known as skewer rats, they can be found in attics and basements. They’re known for gnawing through plastic in search of water and food.
- Gophers – Gophers are burrowing animals, which allows them to make burrows in gardens and lawns. Their activities can damage plumbing and electrical systems near the house.
- Roof Rats – Roof rats settle on the upper parts of the house, such as roofs. To keep them away, you may need to fix damaged roofs and make any ventilations inaccessible from the outside.
Signs That You Have a Rodent Problem
The following telltale signs can indicate the presence of rodents in your residence:
- Tracks – You can find food particles, tiny footprints, and droppings on the paths that rodents normally take around the house. Start by looking at the spaces near the walls, especially behind furniture as most rodents hide while moving through the house.
- Scratching Noises – Mice and rats have sharp claws that can make a lot of noise. In the silence of the night, you will hear them scratching behind the walls or above the ceiling.
- Unpleasant Smell – Rodents leave behind a stinky odor, especially if they have urinated. In addition, the more active they are, the stronger the foul smell.
Do Rodents Spread Diseases?
Rodents can transmit several diseases to humans, including:
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) – You can contract this respiratory disease by coming into direct contact with rodents, inhaling dust contaminated with their droppings and urine, or through bites. Symptoms of hantavirus include fatigue, dizziness, and shortness of breath.
- Plague – This is caused by a bacterium referred to as yersinia pestis, which can be spread by wild rodents such as squirrels. Signs of plague include chills, fever, and weakness.
- Tularemia – You can be exposed to the bacterium that causes this disease by handling dead carcasses of rodents that had been infected. Contamination can also occur if you come into contact with an infected animal.
Some of the illnesses, such as HPS and plague, can be fatal. That’s why you should have rodents eliminated from your house the moment they appear.
Say Goodbye to Rodents
At Eastern Pine Pest & Wildlife, we have a program for the control and exclusion of rodents. We use durable materials to seal all openings that may be admitting rats, mice, or squirrels into your home. Give us a call today on 781-334-8655 for a free estimate of rodent control in North Reading MA.rodent control North Reading MA